8.11.2011

Please stop. I beg of you.

I remember using AOL chat when I was in middle school, or maybe high school...I don’t know, basically a long ass time ago....Anyway, the abbreviation ‘LOL’ was being used frequently.  I also remember using ‘LOL’ when I was ACTUALLY laughing out loud.  When did that stop?  I’m beginning to think people no longer understand what ‘LOL’ means.  If you look above at the beginning of this post again, you will see that it means LAUGHING OUT LOUD.  I know that might be a hard concept for some of you to grasp but, let’s see if I can break it down for you.  It IS appropriate to use ‘LOL’ if you are actually laughing.  It is NOT appropriate to use it as filler.  Here is an example of what I mean by ‘filler’.  This is an actual Facebook status that I saw recently...”Had a great day at work lol!  Time for a relaxing weekend lol!”.  Am I missing something?  Why is that funny?  Are you really laughing out loud as you type that?  If you are, I imagine a lunatic laughing maniacally and typing frantically on their computer....and that is not ok, unless you are about to take over the world or some crazy shit like that. 
Also not ok...the ‘LOL sandwich’.  If you don’t know what I mean by this, here is another example.  “LOL it’s such a great day out LOL”.  The double LOL is not necessary, I promise.  I get the point.  It’s a great day and for some reason you think that is hilarious.  Whatever.  Oh, and while I’m at it the ‘lol hahaha lol’ combo is redundant.  Do you know what ‘redundant’ means?  If not, I’ll tell you...it’s an adjective and it means ‘in excess’ or ‘exceeding what is needed’.  Get it?  
What is with all the variations of LOL anyway?  I have seen LMAO (or LMBO for those that don’t have the mouth of a sailor), LMFAO, lolz, ROFL, lawl, and lulz.  What the hell do those last two even mean?!  I don’t f*cking get it.  
I understand if you want to use it here and there..ya know, when you are actually laughing.  I use it every now and then but, for the most part I stick to the standard “hahaha” or “cackle cackle cackle” (I cackle sometimes, f*ck you).  Let’s all try to stop being ‘LOL’ over-users.  You will be better people and you will look like less of a douche for it.  To those of my friends (off the top of my head, Tonyia and Kristen!!) that flood my texts with LOLs out the asshole, stop that shit.  Seriously. 

~Kelly

6 comments:

  1. Bahahahahahahahaha! I admit...I'm a over user...however, I do not say dumb shit like you posted up there about "it's a great day lol" I only use lol for funny stuff or if I am joking and want someone to know that I am kidding. So I will continue to use it! :)

    ~Tonyia~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, Tonyia? Rethink that statement...and REALLY REALLY think hard before you use LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha....LOL

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's odd having people use whats basically nervous laughter in non-personal text conversations.

    ReplyDelete